Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Interesting Read



Orenstein, P. (2011). Cinderella ate my daughter: Dispatches from the front lines of the new girlie-girl culture. New York: HarperCollins.

I just finished reading Peggy Orenstein’s Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girly-Girl Culture, after our classmate Jackie Flowers brought it to my attention. I thought this was a good place to discuss it briefly since it covered many topics from our class. The book was published this year (2011), so the examples are very current, and the recent statistics are intense.

Orenstein’s prose strikes a seamless balance between academic and anecdotal. Her authority as a scholar is often complicated and problematized by her position as a mother of a young girl. This really adds to the appeal of the book, as she never preaches an “Answer” but offers a variety of suggestions, research, and profit margins to inform. The topics are varied, but all come back to the issue of raising strong, confident females in an age where princess culture abounds. The book is incredibly readable, covering everything from Bettelheim to Barbie, restricting website coding to toy store colour coding. I was really interested by some of the phenomena I had not heard of yet, like “new” Dora. -->

University of Toronto Libraries doesn’t have this book in the catalogue yet, but here is a link to Orenstein’s 1994 book, Schoolgirls: young women, self-esteem, and the confidence gap.


The Toronto Public Library has 17 copies on order but there are 105 holds already.

**I got the book cover photo on Amazon.com and the Dora photo on Clevelandleader.com

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review, Amber. I've been dying to read this myself - there's been so much "buzz" around the book ever since it came out, and I'm looking forward to diving into what by all accounts (including yours) appears to be quite a comprehensive, accessible analysis of princess/girlie culture.

    ReplyDelete